During Week 6 we completed prep for Sprint #1 and … drumroll please....
BEGAN OUR FIRST SPRINT!
Completing preparation for Sprint #1 consisted of finishing any remaining Spikes (a story whose purpose is to provide the answer or solution) and Estimation (coming to an agreement on the amount of time it will take to complete the work), and final prioritization.
Once we estimated, we made sure that we had enough work for one Sprint and made sure our stories were prioritized.
Wednesday morning we began our Sprint.
We were surprised by our velocity: by Wednesday afternoon, we’d done nearly everything we’d planned on doing in an entire week!
On Thursday we had an excellent meeting with the GID Hiring Managers for our first test.. We talked to them about the overall vision for IdealHire and then about testing Pre-Interview Assessments Coffee Chats for an open role they have a hard time filling. They gave us some great insight in to the challenge that they have with filling this particular role, and what the ideal hiring process would be for them. For some roles, a lengthy interview process is the most painful part of the hiring process. For these managers (and surely many other Hiring Managers in GapTech), the pain comes from the speed with which talent is off the market. The window to capture their attention is smaller and often by the time we call them for a screening, they’re off the market. We heard their feedback and wrote some good user stories following our meeting:
- As a Hiring Manager, I want the ability to review applications for Hot Jobs as they come in so that I can immediately reach out to superstar candidates.
- As a Hiring Manager, I want to the empowerment to make the hiring decision so that I can secure candidates before they’re off the market.
- As a Hiring Manager, I want to be able to schedule my own interviews so that I can prioritize securing a candidate before they’re off the market.
- As a Hiring Manager, I want to be able to offer the candidate the position as soon as I decide so that I secure my superstar before another company does.
- As a Candidate, I want to be contacted within 48 hours of applying so that I know whether Gap Inc. is interested in hiring me.
- As a Candidate, I want flexible options (video, nights, weekends) to meet with a Hiring Manager or Recruiter so that I’m able to move through the hiring process more quickly.